How to Prepare for the Mobile-First Index: DON'T FREAK OUT
Responsive or Not: Tips for Creating a Mobile Friendly Website
Whether or not your site is responsive, there are steps everyone can take to become more mobile friendly, and in turn, be better prepared for a mobile-first world.
During Illyes’ session at SMX East, he was joined by Ashley Berman Hale, Director of SEO at Local SEO Guide, and Leslie To, Director of SEO at 3Q Digital. Each of them outlined various factors that impact the mobile friendliness of websites. Here are the top 10 things you can get started on today:
- Scale down image sizes to improve page speed.
- Do gap analysis with your competitors rankings on desktop vs. mobile.
- Don’t get caught with an interstitial penalty! Audit your on-site ad experience.
- Make sure your site navigation won’t overwhelm your audience on mobile.
- Leverage HTML5 for video and rich media content.
- Take a look at how many people are choosing your desktop version while on mobile to determine the effectiveness of your design.
- Make it easy for your users to convert on mobile! As a rule of thumb, there should only be three touches prior to conversion.
- Audit your site search for effectiveness by reviewing the site search queries.
- Optimize your Google Business Profile to show up in local search.