Message & Media: Stop Them in Their Tracks
• Navigation: Keep it simple and easy to use, but if there's someplace you really want people to go (like signing up for your blog or getting a free quote), make sure it stands out from the rest. The Fingerprint Marketing website uses an aqua envelope icon with the copy, "GET ME THE GOOD STUFF!" to call-out the sign-up page as part of the navigation.
• Pop-ups (and pop-unders): Violators in the digital space are often pop-ups that appear when you open a new browser window, or pop-under ads that appear behind active windows. Both can be disruptive, often annoying and equally effective at capturing attention. Everyone has an opinion about pop-up ads; let results guide your use of them. Pop-unders are a variation in which a new window opens under the active window and isn't seen until the covering window is closed.
On a shelf packed with homogeneous-looking rectangular boxes, violators grab a shopper's attention and differentiate your product just as a buying decision is being made.
• Announce what's new: New & Improved with 4X more power
• Call out an improved feature or benefit: Kills 99.9% of viruses and bacteria
• Promote a piece count: Now 115 pieces ... 15% more
• Emphasize a benefit: Made with real chicken
• Feature a rebate or discount: Save $2
• Focus on free: Free sample inside
One last thought about violators: Just as too many cooks spoil the broth, too many violators make your message look way too busy, ultimately confusing rather than directing the eye. Use violators deliberately, strategically and appropriately.