When I launched this column in 2005, I also started an archive of news stories. Every day I add zero-to-20 items, indexed and cross-indexed. I now have 80,000 entries in 166 major categories. I call this my "research-in-advance."
Sony Data Catastrophe, April 2011
Back in 2011 I downloaded accounts of two Sony data breaches:
- A hacker stole personal data of 77 million PlayStation video gamers.
- "TOKYO—Sony executives bowed in apology Sunday for a security breach in the company's PlayStation Network." —Yuri Kageyama.
- Six days later, hackers returned, accessing 24.6 million more customer accounts.
Sony Data Catastrophe, November 2014
"What has happened at Sony Pictures Entertainment over the past week reads like a blockbuster screenplay—or a chief executive's nightmare: Hackers target a major company, disabling its internal systems and leaking documents revealing long-held secrets, from coming products to executive pay." —Rachel Emma Silverman and Ben Fritz.
- Also stolen: 5 upcoming full-length films.
- The response by Sony management: ...the attack was a "malicious criminal act" that left them "deeply saddened."
Takeaways to Consider
- "The Internet is still largely held together with Band-Aid fixes." —Nicole Perlroth
- Incompetent people should be summarily fired, from dweebs to CEOs.
- The new philosophy practiced by CEOs and their bean counters: It's cheaper to pay off the families of 7 dead victims than recall 20 million airbags or faulty ignition systems.
Denny Hatch's new book is Write Everything Right!
Veteran writer Denny Hatch has mastered the writing business. It is your good fortune and mine that he has come out with a brand new book that will help us avoid making time-wasting, profit-wasting mistakes when we write. His book is titled, Write Everything Right! You need this book if you are serious about writing and getting paid well for it. —Bob Schwarztrauber
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
CLICK HERE to read the first 3 Chapters FREE.No cost. No Risk. No obligation.
For Kindle Edition information, CLICK HERE.