B-to-B Insights: Even More Summer Reading
• “Marketing Warfare.” In my opinion, this is one of the greatest books ever written on marketing.
• “The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing.”
By now, your beach bag should be getting pretty heavy, but don’t forget to include:
• “Bly on Direct Marketing: 258 Ways to Double Your Response—Based on a Quarter Century of Proven Results” by Robert Bly. This work from a master of B-to-B direct marketing covers such critical topics as: “Ten steps to online marketing success”; “Why branding and direct don’t mix”; “How to break into a prospect’s inner e-mail circle”; and “What goes on an outer envelope.”
• “B-to-B Direct Marketing,” also by Robert Bly. Not only is this book front and center in my library, but I give it to all my staff members.
And Now, for Something Completely Different
• “The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable” by Patrick Lencioni. Marketing is a team sport, which is why my final recommendation for this summer is not a marketing book. It’s a business leadership book that can be instrumental in helping you build a highly effective marketing team comprised of people who trust each other to deliver, who can discuss issues, and who are committed to delivering results and comfortable with accountability.
You Are What You Read
We’re lucky as an industry to have such a prolific community of professionals willing to share their knowledge and expertise, which is why it’s a shame so many marketers don’t read, effectively passing up the chance to learn from the grand masters. To those of you who apply yourselves, I almost can assure great things.
Russell Kern is president of The Kern Organization, a fully integrated offline and online direct marketing agency in Woodland Hills, Calif., and is the author of “S.U.R.E.-Fire Direct Response Marketing” (McGraw-Hill, 2001). He can be reached at (818) 703-8775 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.