The slogan of this spokesperson:
My beef lives on the range and is produced nature’s way. It is not cloned and will never be cloned. It is grass- and grain-fed only, with no hormones, no antibiotics, no genetic engineering. I guarantee my beef is delicious—the very best you can buy anywhere in the world. I love eating it, and I am proud to serve it in my home and to make it available to you and your family. Enjoy!
This would catch every other beef producer flatfooted. All they could say is, “Uh … well, uh, that goes for us, too.”
The beef of all other producers is instantly suspect.
That simple 76-word statement taps into five of the eight key copy drivers—the emotional hot buttons that make people act:
1. Fear (of eating any tainted meat)
2. Guilt (at the possibility of feeding your loved ones lethal food)
3. Anger (that greedy agri-business would secretly sell you cloned meat)
4. Flattery (you’re very smart to see what’s going on)
5. Salvation (that comes with knowing you’ll live a long time because you eat healthy food produced the natural way)
“Preemptive advertising is the single most powerful technique you could ever use,” writes Jay Abraham. “And no one uses it.”