Every Executive Needs a Copywriter
Do not let the Republicans steal your vote.
Contact Gov. Corbett today.
Governor Ed Rendell
P.S. I would appreciate your telling me how you contacted Governor Corbett. http://my.democrats.org/PA-Call-Report-Back
Takeaways to Consider
- K.I.S.S.—Keep it simple, stupid.
- 50 percent of adults cannot read a book written at an eighth grade level
- 45 million are functionally illiterate and read below a 5th grade level
- "The first 10 words you write are more important than the next 10,000." —Elmer "Sizzle" Wheeler.
- The first 10 words by Ed Rendell: "A really big deal ... Right now Republicans in our state ..."
- The first 10 words by Denny Hatch: "Urgent. Act at Once! You're about to lose your vote."
- Rendell (or his writer) delivered a 422-word civics lecture. My down-'n'-dirty version is 244 words with four ways to respond.
- Why offer four ways to respond? Because everywhere Gov. Corbett turns—phone, fax, email or pile of snail mail—he'll find pissed-off voters. He can't get away from us.
- The operative copy drivers—emotional hot buttons—to make people act in this case are fear and anger.
- "Make it easy to order." —Elsworth Howell
- "Specifics sell. Generalities don't." —Andrew J. Byrne
- Many top executives did not achieve their positions by being good writers.
- I believe every business should be able to call on the services of a world-class copywriter to tidy up all written communications to customers, prospects, suppliers, employees and investors.
Denny Hatch is a direct marketing consultant, copywriter and designer. He is finishing a new book: "WRITE EVERYTHING RIGHT! Let the world's greatest copywriters show you how to make readers love your e-mails, letters, memos, blog, ads, white papers, press releases, PowerPoint, articles, books, Website and yes, especially your résumé." He can be reached at email@example.com, his website, www.dennyhatch.com and (215) 627-9103 rings on his desk.