Email Newsletter Success Checklist
- Identify Your Audience, and speak in terms most relevant to them.For example, will they prefer a formal or more conversational tone?
- Make the Subject Line Stand Out. Find a one-liner that is appealing, short and to the point. Have it prove the asset's relevance to the reader (a third of email recipients open messages based on the subject line alone, according to Salesforce).
- Don't Make It All About You. Always ask yourself, "What's the value that customers will get from opening and reading this?"
- Make Your E-newsletter Mobile-Friendly. The Salesforce research further shows nearly 40 percent of marketers have no strategy for mobile email, yet chances are the majority of your customers are accessing email on some sort of smart device.
- Include Social Icons Linking to Your Company's Networks and Pages.YourFacebook, Twitter and LinkedIn pages should be prominently displayed toward the top of your e-newsletter. Avoid placing the icons toward the bottom, as some readers may not scroll all the way through.
Stephen Fontenot is the marketing communications specialist at Chicago-based cloud hosting and infrastructure-as-a-service provider Hostway Services, Inc. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.