Email Newsletter Success Checklist
Email marketing can be a tried-and-true method for driving sales and establishing quality connections with prospects and customers. A company newsletter can bolster brand awareness, lock in customer loyalty and fuel profitability. This is a great marketing vehicle that best-of-breed companies have been using for years to keep customers up to date on their brand and to continually keep their products and services top of mind between purchases.
Is your company's e-newsletter as good as it can be? If you're looking to make your e-newsletter campaign more impactful, be sure to have the following best practices checked off of your to-do list:
- Monthly or Biweekly Delivery: Set a regular distribution schedule; however, keep in mind that e-newsletters pushed out any more frequently than monthly or biweekly get opened less often. A monthly delivery schedule sets a nice pace that keeps your readers waiting for something new from your brand—while at the same time, not overloading them with content, which can feel like spam.
- Information Pertinent to Your Industry: A newsletter requires a soft-sell approach. This is your chance to position yourself as an expert in the field—someone who wants to share valuable, need-to-know information with customers. This is not the place to openly tout your products and ask for the sale. Rather, position yourself as a thought leader in your respective space and prove to your customers that they should be proud to buy from you. Your content should inspire your customers to print out your e-newsletter and highlight portions to remember and employ in their day-to-day activities.
- Consistent Style and Tone: Each writer has his or her own voice, and that's a good thing. But your e-newsletter should project one cohesive tone that flows smoothly from one story to the next. No matter who the writer is, your company's unique expression should shine. To keep a unified voice and feel, appoint an editor to go through each outsourced story with a fine-tooth comb.
- Special Promotions for E-newsletter Readers: Nothing encourages readership growth like a special promotion that can only be found in the company e-newsletter. In fact,seven in 10 people say they have made use of a discount or promotion from a marketing email (opens as a PDF). It's a great way to keep customers reading from month to month, and a nice way to subtly encourage sales.
- Professional Design for Your HTML Version: The design of your e-newsletter makes a big impression on the customer. A professional design may enhance your image and gives your newsletter more credibility. If you can't afford to hire a designer, find a template that fits your company's personality.
- Updated Subscriber List: Double-check to make sure that everyone who has unsubscribed from your e-newsletter in the past has been removed from your list. The last thing you want to do is to flood customers with unwanted material they've already tried to escape. Also, make sure all new sign-ups are included—you don't want to leave them out of the mix.
Here are a few other quick tips that can lead to better e-newsletter open rates and engagement: