Email Campaign Archive Report: May 2011 Volume Up 20% Over May 2010
May 2011 email volume is up 20 percent over May 2010. There were 17,068 email promotions recorded in the ECA in May 2011 compared to 14,223 in May 2010. The ECA is powered by the Who’s Mailing What Archive, a Target Marketing Group (TMG) product. (All About eMail is published by TMG.)
Other items of note about May email promotions archived include the following:
- Word count. Average word count continues to drop. Word count in May was 368, down 6 percent from in May 2010. This is a continuation of a trend for shorter email messages. Also of note is that the average word count from “repeat” emails (those promotions logged more than one time in the ECA) was 191 in May 2011.
- Delivery day. Highest volumes in May during the business week shifted back to Tuesday as the most popular day to send email (19.2 percent of the total). This is a shift from Thursday which was the highest day in April. Wednesday (18.6 percent), Thursday (18.3 percent), Monday (16.2 percent) and Friday (15.2 percent) followed. Saturday volume was 6.4 percent of the total and Sunday was 6.1 percent. Emails identified as repeats were sent at a higher rate on Saturdays and Mondays.
- Delivery time. The 4 a.m. to 8 a.m. EST window saw the highest volume sent (34 percent of all email sent), followed by noon to 4 p.m. (25 percent).
- The most repeated subject lines in May were:
- 2-HOUR FLASH SALE: Don't Miss the Lunchtime Savings!
- Build a culture that retains top performers
- Build Your Own Bikini, Starting At $24!
- Clearance Swimsuits Now Up To 70% OFF!
- Enter to Win a Weekend Yoga Retreat with Dr. Sinatra!
- Free Shipping This Week Only - Hurry, Shop Now
- Get 35% off when you shop the new Summer Catalog
- Get Up To $1,000 In Get Set In Diamonds Rewards
- Hurry, EXTRA 30% OFF, today only!
- New OUTLET Arrivals, up to 80% off!
- SAVE on your FAVES event! Up to 40% off.
- TODAY ONLY! Take An Extra 30% OFF!
Gary Hennerberg is a consultant and copywriter and has extensively analyzed email data from the EmailCampaignArchive.com. He contributed two chapters to DirectMarketingIQ’s new book, All About Email Creative. Gary can be reached at http://hennerberg.com.
Related story: Email Campaign Archive Report: April Volume Up Nearly 20%
Reinventing Direct is for the direct marketer seeking guidance in the evolving world of online marketing. Gary Hennerberg is a mind code marketing strategist, based on the template from his new book, "Crack the Customer Mind Code." He is recognized as a leading direct marketing consultant and copywriter. He weaves in how to identify a unique selling proposition to position, or reposition, products and services using online and offline marketing approaches, and copywriting sales techniques. He is sought-after for his integration of direct mail, catalogs, email marketing, websites, content marketing, search marketing, retargeting and more. His identification of USPs and copywriting for clients has resulted in sales increases of 15 percent, 35 percent, and even as high as 60 percent. Today he integrates both online and offline media strategies, and proven copywriting techniques, to get clients results. Email him or follow Gary on LinkedIn. Co-authoring this blog is Perry Alexander of ACM Initiatives. Follow Perry on LinkedIn.