Email Campaign Archive Report: February 2011 Email Promotions Increase 20%
February email promotion volume was 20.4 percent higher in 2011 than it was in the same month a year ago, according to the Email Campaign Archive, a database of more than 400,000 archived email promotions powered by the Who’s Mailing What! Archive, a Target Marketing Group (TMG) product (All About eMail is published by TMG). In all, 16,027 email promotions were recorded in February, compared to 13,307 last year in February. The increased volume is a continuation of a trend in recent months: January 2011 volume was up 25 percent over the same month in 2010.
Other findings from the February email promotions archived include the following:
1. Average word count in February 2011 was 379 compared to 390 in February 2010.
2. For the second straight month, Thursday was the most popular day of the week for sending email (16.1 percent of the total), followed by Tuesday (16.0 percent), Wednesday (15.3 percent), Friday (14.4 percent), Monday (11.3 percent), Saturday (4.7 percent) and Sunday (4.2 percent).
3. Between 8 a.m. and noon EST was the most popular time for sending email (34.5 percent of the total), followed by noon to 4 p.m. (24.9 percent) and 4 a.m. to 8 a.m. (17.1 percent).
4. There were 809 email promotions in February with the word “Valentine” in the subject line, representing 5 percent of the total volume sent. The most repeated subject lines in February were:
- 25% savings with the online catalog, plus new Spring decor
- Clean Out Your Arteries with Apple Cider Vinegar
- Exclusive Offer: 10 issues only $10!
- Exclusive Offer: 11 issues for only $11
- Exclusive Savings — 15% Sitewide Plus Free Shipping
- Save Big During Our Warehouse Clearance
- Sip This Smoothie To Lose Up To 12 Pounds in 2 Weeks!
- Welcome To Spiegel! Take An Extra 30% OFF!
- You're doing everything right. Why don't you feel your best?
Gary Hennerberg is a consultant and copywriter who analyzes email data from the Email Campaign Archive. Gary also contributed two chapters to the recently published All About Email Creative. Gary can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reinventing Direct is for the direct marketer seeking guidance in the evolving world of online marketing. Gary Hennerberg is a mind code marketing strategist, based on the template from his new book, "Crack the Customer Mind Code." He is recognized as a leading direct marketing consultant and copywriter. He weaves in how to identify a unique selling proposition to position, or reposition, products and services using online and offline marketing approaches, and copywriting sales techniques. He is sought-after for his integration of direct mail, catalogs, email marketing, websites, content marketing, search marketing, retargeting and more. His identification of USPs and copywriting for clients has resulted in sales increases of 15 percent, 35 percent, and even as high as 60 percent. Today he integrates both online and offline media strategies, and proven copywriting techniques, to get clients results. Email him or follow Gary on LinkedIn. Co-authoring this blog is Perry Alexander of ACM Initiatives. Follow Perry on LinkedIn.