Email Campaign Archive Report: April Volume Up Nearly 20%
April 2011 email volume is up 19.7 percent over April 2010, according to data from the Email Campaign Archive (ECA) database. The increased volume represents a continuation of a trend in recent months.
There were 17,945 email promotions recorded in the ECA in April 2011 compared to 14,988 in April 2010. The average volume of promotions per day in April was 598. The ECA is powered by the Who’s Mailing What Archive, a Target Marketing Group (TMG) product. (All About eMail is published by TMG.)
Other items to note about April email promotions archived include the following:
1. The average word count in April was 374, down 8.1 percent from April 2010. This is a continuation of a trend for shorter email messages. Also of note is that the average word count from “repeat” emails (those promotions logged more than one time in the ECA) was 235 in April 2011, or 37 percent less than for the average of all emails during the same time period.
2. Highest volumes in April were during the business week, with Thursday as the most popular day to send email (19.1 percent of the total), followed by Tuesday (18.3 percent), Wednesday (18.1 percent), Friday (16.3 percent) and Monday (15.8 percent). Saturday volume was 6.1 percent of the total and Sunday was 6.3 percent. Emails identified as “repeats” were sent at a higher rate on Fridays and Saturdays, and at a lower rate than Monday-Thursday.
3. The most repeated subject lines in April were:
- 5 Irresistible Desserts
- As Seen on The Doctors: Travis Stork, M.D. shows you how to eat, drink, and be skinny!
- Free Shipping! No Minimum
- Get 35% savings in addition to spring sale prices in the online catalog
- Get an Extra 35% during Spring Sale Savings Event
- New OUTLET Arrivals, up to 80% off!
- Subscribe for ONLY $1 an Issue and Get 2 FREE Gifts!
- Super savings for one day only!
- Take An Extra 30% OFF! TODAY ONLY!
- The Greatest Health Discovery Since CoQ10 & Fish Oil
- The Triple Whammy of Breakthrough Nutrition
- TODAY ONLY! Take An Extra 30% OFF!
- Yoga moves that blast belly fat!
Related story: Email Campaign Archive Report: 2011 1Q Email Volume Up 21%
Reinventing Direct is for the direct marketer seeking guidance in the evolving world of online marketing. Gary Hennerberg is a mind code marketing strategist, based on the template from his new book, "Crack the Customer Mind Code." He is recognized as a leading direct marketing consultant and copywriter. He weaves in how to identify a unique selling proposition to position, or reposition, products and services using online and offline marketing approaches, and copywriting sales techniques. He is sought-after for his integration of direct mail, catalogs, email marketing, websites, content marketing, search marketing, retargeting and more. His identification of USPs and copywriting for clients has resulted in sales increases of 15 percent, 35 percent, and even as high as 60 percent. Today he integrates both online and offline media strategies, and proven copywriting techniques, to get clients results. Email him or follow Gary on LinkedIn. Co-authoring this blog is Perry Alexander of ACM Initiatives. Follow Perry on LinkedIn.