Email Campaign Archive Report: Record-Breaking 21,189 Emails Received in December
A new record for email promotions was set in December, according to the Email Campaign Archive, a database of more than 400,000 archived email promotions. In December, 21,189 promotional emails, an average of 535 emails per day, were received. The highest volume day of email logged during the holiday season was Dec. 15, with 972 email promotions received. The Email Campaign Archive is powered by the Who's Mailing What! Archive, a Target Marketing Group (TMG) product. (All About eMail is published by TMG.)
Other items of note regarding December email promotions archived include the following:
1. Word count was stable. The average word count in promotional emails was 357 words, compared to 360 in November. This count is down from October, when the average word count was 428 words.
2. Wednesday was the most popular day for sending email. The highest volume of emails were sent on Wednesday (20.1 percent), followed by Thursday (19.2 percent), Friday (16.5 percent), Tuesday (16.1 percent), Monday (15.4 percent), Sunday (7.3 percent) and Saturday (6.2 percent).
3. Early morning is the most popular time for email delivery. Most emails in December of last year were sent between 4 a.m. and 8 a.m. EST (42.6 percent), followed by 8 a.m. to noon EST (39.3 percent).
4. The popularity of exclamation points in subject lines continues. Last month, 34.3 percent of subject lines used an exclamation point, which is consistent with recent months. The next most popular form of punctuation in the subject line was a percent sign, with nearly 20 percent of all subject lines containing one. “Gift” was used in subject lines 13.4 percent of the time, followed by “holiday” (10.3 percent).
The seven most popular subject lines were:
- 7 Days, 7 Great Deals!
- FREE Shipping + Limited Quantities on These Fabulous Friday Finds!
- Get your perfect body with this FREE workout DVD from Women's Health
- Resist Hesitation & Book a Vacation!
- Teach your thyroid to burn more fat!
- Top 20 Foods to Look Better Naked
- Up to 25% Off — One Day Only
Gary Hennerberg is a consultant and copywriter who analyzes email data from the Email Campaign Archive. Gary also contributed two chapters to the recently published All About Email Creative. Gary can be reached at Hennerberg.com.
Reinventing Direct is for the direct marketer seeking guidance in the evolving world of online marketing. Gary Hennerberg is a mind code marketing strategist, based on the template from his new book, "Crack the Customer Mind Code." He is recognized as a leading direct marketing consultant and copywriter. He weaves in how to identify a unique selling proposition to position, or reposition, products and services using online and offline marketing approaches, and copywriting sales techniques. He is sought-after for his integration of direct mail, catalogs, email marketing, websites, content marketing, search marketing, retargeting and more. His identification of USPs and copywriting for clients has resulted in sales increases of 15 percent, 35 percent, and even as high as 60 percent. Today he integrates both online and offline media strategies, and proven copywriting techniques, to get clients results. Email him or follow Gary on LinkedIn. Co-authoring this blog is Perry Alexander of ACM Initiatives. Follow Perry on LinkedIn.