Drop Ship Software Shopping Checklist
By Curt Barry
When you're hunting for drop ship supplier collaboration software, look for the following features. To make this checklist easier to use, I've categorized the features and functions commonly provided.
- Automates order delivery process with secure Web transmissions
- Sends order notifications with e-mails
- Orders selectable by ship dates, product number, product categories, etc.
- Packing slips customizable by supplier
- Dynamic packing slip prints from Web
- Packing slips contain gift comment, item upsell, commercial versus residential shipping information, order number barcodes, and the retail price is omitted on the packing slip for shipments to gift recipients, etc.
- Suppliers can print or display order summary reports
- Automated exception notices if orders not printed in "X" hours.
- Ability to define supplier ship method tables
- Class of delivery requested by customer can drive order ship method for the supplier
- Integrates to industry standard shipping stations
- Suppliers provide shipping updates including partial-line items and quantities
- Processes during shipping function or as separate function
- Invoices shipped items only
- Invoices by order number or order batch
- Facility controls product costs with high/low tolerances
- Posts all supplier invoices electronically back to retailer's host accounts payable system for processing
- Suppliers can communicate revised shipping dates on back-ordered merchandise
- Suppliers receive automated stop-shipment requests
- Accesses an order and its status at any time
- Comments on orders and alerts other parties to comments
- Ability to substitute products
- Ability to resource orders from a different supplier
- Suppliers can process returns and update order status (i.e., exchanges, credits, refunds)
- Update retailer's host system with order return updates and inventory credits to accounts payable
- Vendor ability to update product costs, item specifications or images via browser page