Cover Story: Direct Marketer of the Year: Sandy Carter
Carter Pays It Forward
"I think the really cool thing is that now I have a [vice president] of marketing that reports to me and I understand and value that marketing," Carter says. "So you're going to see us do a lot of really cool things. My team has already come up with a lot of social campaigns they want to run. We will now focus on startups and getting them on the IBM platform. So you're going to see us leverage a lot of social to garner their support—just in getting partners interested in the IBM platform and understanding what's happening. You'll see us leveraging many different tactics.
"But direct marketing and social will be critical ones," Carter continues, raising her voice and speaking quickly through a smile, "I had a meeting with my marketing team … and it was really cool, because I understood everything they were saying to me. They didn't have to pause and dumb stuff down. I directly understood what was happening and we could make some really quick changes in what we're doing to leverage more social."
More social, Carter says. As of September 2013, this is what is already happening in social, according to IBM. The company's internal social media footprint today includes:
- IBM Connections: IBM's workforce of 433,000 use the tool
- Communities: more than 170,000 communities
- Wikis: 99,500 wikis, 1.6 million pages, 92.4 million views
- Blogs: 428,000 users, 74,500 blogs, 244,000 entries
- Bookmarks: 64,600 users, 1.6 million bookmarks, 4.8 million tags
- Files: 1.18 million files shared, 44.8 million downloads
- Instant Messages: more than 50 million instant messages/day
IBM's external social media footprint today includes:
- Facebook: 198,000 employees, 250,000 "People for a Smarter Planet" followers
- LinkedIn: 304,000 employees, 16 million first-order connections, 692,277 IBM followers, 343,000 IBM alumni
- Twitter: 32,000 employees
- Blogs: Thousands of individual IBMer blogs
- IBM YouTube channel: 4.5 million views
- A Smarter Planet blog: 50,000 visits per month to the site
- developerWorks: 8 million community profiles
- Greater IBM Connections: 100,000 IBM alumni members
Jeremiah Owyang, Partner at San Mateo, Calif.-based Altimeter Group, himself a big name in social media, says Carter connects with those outside IBM in a way that transcends all these numbers.