Developing a Social Media Game Plan
Rooney used the analogy of an Influencer Ecosystem, which includes a pyramid consisting of brand evangelists, industry eminents, peer influencers and determined detractors. "Look at the ecosystem as a whole, and then develop a strategy that approaches each of these groups in the right way," he added.
Rooney's Top 10 advice when it comes to social media:
1. Be very clear about who your audience is.
2. Clearly articulate how you want people to talk about you.
3. Remember: It's about your message; it's not about you.
4. Avoid social media just for the sake of social media.
5. Remember the 3 F's: fun, fame and fortune. What makes it fun? How are you going to reward people?
6. Engage in a way that is relevant, compelling and sharable.
7. Integrate cross-channel engagement.
8. Don't forget that everything you do should be mobile phone accessible.
9. Be flexible. Experiment and try new things.
10. Measure everything you do in meaningful ways.
InterACT! is the first educational forum for marketers, brand owners and service providers on cross-media direct marketing opportunities and strategies organized by InfoTrends and North American Publishing Company (NAPCO) being held Aug 10-11, 2010 in Rosemont, IL.