Denny's Daily Zinger: A Sports Writer Eats Crow With Egg on His Face
The illustrations in the media player at right say it all.
Why California Chrome Won't Win the Kentucky Derby
Here Are Six Reasons to Look Beyond the Likely Favorite in the Run for the Roses
Here's a safe bet for Saturday's Kentucky Derby: California Chrome will be one of the biggest favorites in recent history. But that doesn't mean he is a good bet.
Above are the head, deck and lede of The Wall Street Journal story on April 30.
I love the ponies.
In the 1970s, I spent Saturdays studying the Racing Form and wagering an occasional $2 with off-track betting.
I learned three things about handicapping:
- Like everything in life, rules exist.
- Go deep into the "Past Performances" statistics and, with luck, twice a day a horse will jump out of the numbers and shout "BET ON ME!"
- Success with the ponies is knowing when NOT to bet.
The six reasons California Chrome was "sure to lose" were rules pulled out of Jim Chairusmi's hat—the one he ate with his helping of crow.
Read Jerry Bossert's delicious California Chrome story in The New York Daily News. It will make your heart go pitty-pat.
Takeaways to Consider:
- "To win in life, play the rules better than everybody else." —Bob Hacker
- "Or break the rules better than everybody else." —Bob Hacker
- If you don't know the rules, keep your mouth shut.
- God, this is sweet!
- On to the Preakness!
Denny Hatch's new book is Write Everything Right! Chip Fichtner says, "Denny: Almost through it. Great as always. Question: with any good book I like to buy a dozen and give to friends and employees. Should I buy direct through you or from Amazon?"
Click Here and read the first 3 Chapters FREE! Write Everything Right! Kindle Edition. Contact Denny at firstname.lastname@example.org.