Bto B Insights Book Smarts
Direct Marketing Foundation Must-reads
- "Direct Marketing: Strategy, Planning and Execution" by Ed Nash--A fundamental background on direct marketing; if you're a newcomer to the industry, read it now. If you are a seasoned pro, a reread is sure to bring you some fresh ideas.
- "Business-to-Business Marketing" by Victor L. Hunter--People buy from people, not companies. Complex B-to-B sales transactions are consummated when the buyers have trust in the sellers. Learn the power and value of building a community and how to use it to help drive your sales process.
- "The New Direct Marketing: How to Implement a Profit-Driven Database Marketing Strategy" by David Shepard--This large text is the definitive resource on the topic. If you want to understand the mechanics of how to make database marketing deliver, this is the read.
- "The Fundamentals of Business-to-Business Sales and Marketing" by John Coe--Coe is an expert on database marketing and B-to-B marketing. He addresses the most critical issue in B-to-B marketing, that of connecting marketing activity to sales results.
- "S.U.R.E.-Fire. Direct Marketing: Managing Business-to-Business Sales Leads for Bottom-Line Success" by Russell M. Kern--A great resource to learn about strategic planning, the use of qualitative and quantitative research, response management, and the details of execution, from offer presentation to copy strategy.
As mentioned above, the basic drivers of human motivation, and thus people's response behavior, have not changed since their identification more than 50 years ago by advertising great Victor Schwab. In case you don't have this list committed to memory, below is Schwab's findings. In fact, it's not a bad idea to print out this page and stick it to your bulletin board as a constant reminder of the pressure points your campaigns should be hitting.