A Formula for a Successful DRTV Campaign
Unlike traditional advertising, the execution of a successful DRTV campaign is more like science than art.
The first and most important component of a successful DRTV campaign is choosing the right agency. The agency you work with needs to have deep-rooted experience in order to deliver accountability to your marketing budget. Consider the following questions when choosing a DRTV agency:
• Does the agency have a history of success on TV?
• What is the agency’s experience in my category/vertical?
• Does the agency have the buying power to negotiate the cost savings I need, and can it subsequently deliver improved ROI or reduced acquisition cost?
• How hands-on is the agency’s account team? Will my project be passed down to a junior team member, or will it receive the attention of senior-level staff?
A good DRTV agency begins by evaluating its client’s product/service on the following criteria: 1) mass appeal; 2) demonstrability; and 3) uniqueness. Meeting these three criteria is critical to a successful DRTV campaign. For example, the One Touch Can Opener (more than 4 million units sold in six months) exemplifies a product that embodies all these characteristics. See the product in action at www.onetouchcanopener.com
Next, creative must be developed that optimizes the product’s potential sales appeal. Effective creative avoids complicated, subliminal messaging and instead provides very simple and direct messaging—less clutter means better returns. The most successful creative comprises the following: a simple overview of the item; why the consumer needs it; and how to order it (call to action). Your DRTV creative also should include the following elements, which are proven to increase ROI:
• Run the toll-free phone number and Web site supers (on-screen text) throughout the creative.
• Provide visuals with the audio; it drives the point home.
• Repeat the toll-free phone number and Web site address via voiceover at the end of the spot.