SEO: Sexy and You Know It
Or, as Ken Krogue says in a July 2012 Forbes blog post, "The Death of SEO: The Rise of Social, PR and Real Content":
"Invest in real, valuable, relevant content that your audience wants. Grow your internal thought leaders to where they can add value to your audience and positioning in the market. Follow internal SEO practices to make sure it is found and sees the light of day. Take the time to make it so compelling that people talk about it and share it."
Yes, yes, yes!
There's no magic "keyphrase density" bullet. In fact, even Google says that's a myth. There's no secret way to spin the content, no magical word count and no sneaky way to drive links.
The SEO copywriting rules, in fact, are pretty simple—and these ideas stood the test of time (even before Google was a search engine):
- Know your reader/customer persona, and use a "voice" that they'll engage with and appreciate;
- Provide useful information;
- Know how people are searching for what you have to offer;
- Create unique, clickable titles and meta descriptions;
- Understand how your customers search—and what keyphrases they use throughout the buy cycle;
- If you're writing to sell, use benefit statements throughout your copy; and
- Sprinkle keyphrases throughout your content, but never sacrifice your article's readability for keyphrase usage.
Are there some complexities—such as determining your keyphrase strategy, specific "power places" for keyphrase usage and how to develop a content strategy? Yes. It can take time for even experienced copywriters to learn how to "write for search and social."
But once you have it down, the results are fantastic. Check out 37signals, Brookstone or Whole Latte Love. These companies give their readers fantastic information that helps make their lives (and their buying decisions) easier. Yes, the content is "good for Google." But more importantly, it's great for readers.
Described as a fast-talking, fiery redhead, Heather Lloyd-Martin is a 20-year marketing veteran, a recognized author and considered the pioneer of SEO copywriting. Recognized worldwide as a first-generation search marketing expert, she has been training corporate in-house SEO copywriters and creating revenue-driving Web site content campaigns via her consultancy, SuccessWorks.