CRM: Tools of the Trade
3. Content Is Critical
Nurturing consumers requires a shift from thinking only about brand messages to becoming more like a publisher providing reliable information to aid in their decisions. Marketers are in charge of the brand and the consumer reports. Each touchpoint should include content that moves the consumer closer to the sale.
Content needs to engage and educate on all the reasons consumers should buy, validate why your brand should be in the consideration set, and highlight satisfied customer experiences. Another benefit in having nurturing content—whether it's on your website, microsite or social media accounts—is it can draw in new leads who are seeking information, but may be unaware of the brand.
When determining what type of content to create, consumer marketers should ask the following questions:
- What type of education can we provide on our products/services to influence the consumer decision?
- Can we help consumers identify which of our products/services fit their wants/needs?
- How can we address any objections or overcome resistances to purchasing?
- Are there other organizations/individuals who can help cement our credibility/authority in what we offer?
- Can we use a customer experience to help tell our story?
- How can we remain top-of-mind among our audience?
- What can we create to inspire customer loyalty?
4. Mapping the Right Touchpoints
Today's consumer marketers need to refocus on employing the right content across the right touchpoints along a consumer's decision- making process.
However, you can't expect a potential customer who has just started to investigate the category to commit 30 minutes to read your e-book or watch your webinar. Search engine marketing should send a lead to information that helps consumers add the brand to the initial consideration set. A direct mail follow-up after a lead has registered for more information should reinforce key benefits and prompt discovery of other content assets that demonstrate why they should buy. An email after an online demo should present the most compelling content to help close the sale.