3 Top Takeaways from the InterACT Direct Marketing Conference
But what will remain long after the conference ends is the knowledge attendees will gain from keynoter Carter, vice president of social business evangelism and sales at IBM Corp. With a new book coming out in September on the subject, Carter is well-versed in helping marketers create a "Social Business Agenda." and will leave attendees with this lesson:
- A culture eats strategy for lunch—create a digital council;
- Gain a "trust plan" and a "friend plan"—they are "Social Business" musts;
- Exceptional experiences engage everyone—hire a community manager;
- Network processes. "Business processes are the soul of your company. To change, you must embed social into that soul.";
- Design for reputation and risk management. "Create your 'Brand Army'; hire a reputation manager"; and
- Analytics is the new black.
In a case study presentation, delegates will learn how Carnival Cruise Lines retains customers with "social media efforts, actionable search behavioral insight and innovative email lifecycle programs."
And Vivian Rosenthal—founder and CEO of GoldRun, an augmented reality (AR) app—will illustrate how the technology can be used on mobile devices, computers, television, game consoles and other viewing mediums. Marketers and brand managers will come away from the educational session knowing how:
- Traditional businesses are maintaining an interactive, digital dialog with consumers through AR;
- How the product itself can be used to drive people to brand websites and physical destinations;
- How companies are creating digital revenues with AR without changing their existing business models; and
- How to use AR to create buzz for their brand, help drive traffic and activate their fans and attract new customers.
Not listed on the conference agenda, but what is sure to impress, is the new face of the virtual show. Attendees can customize their consoles, tweet directly from the consoles and click the "share" icon to pass information along to colleagues. For those choosing to attend the "Hands-on Workshop," for instance, this will be especially helpful when one of the presenters asks delegates to alert her to their work through the hashtag #InterACThandson.