21 Reasons to Send Your Customers Postcards
16. Happy Birthday: Send a postcard in honor of your customer's birthday.
17. Happy Anniversary: Acknowledge a customer's loyalty with a postcard on the anniversary of his first purchase.
18. Upgrade & Cross-Sell: Send a postcard to your customer who just made a purchase to make a special upgrade or cross-sell offer.
19. Your Opinions Matter: Send a double-postcard survey.
20. Slow Sales: Sales unexpectedly slow? Send a special offer postcard inviting customers to (1) find your catalog, place an order now and save; (2) stop by your retail store within the next two weeks and save; (3) e-mail, call or fax an order by a specific deadline and save.
21. Personal Appeal: Send hand-signed "picture postcards" for high impact and personal appeal. Link the picture and message. For example, send a cable car postcard as an invitation to a trade show in San Francisco or use a picture postcard from Switzerland to introduce a new product made in Geneva. (For added impact, you can even pay to have the postcard mailed from overseas.)
More tips: All postcards do not have to look the same. Oversized postcards may cost more to produce and mail, but they also stand out in the mail. Splurge on paper; postcards are visual and tactile. Stamps look more personal and interesting than a printed indicia or metered postage. Create a series of postcards and print them all at once to save money. Get readers involved with peel-off stickers, tipped-on magnets, scratch-and-sniff, etc. And check your mail and talk to your printers for additional postcard ideas that don't cost a fortune.