12 Actions for Multichannel Success
1. Be humble. Acknowledge what you don’t know about how your customers define engagement. Listen to your customers.
2. Understand how customers define the "reciprocity of value equation" with your company.
3. Create opt-in preference databases to drive true personalization of communications and offers.
4. Achieve frictionless, high-value engagement across every medium in the multichannel mix.
5. Customers engage with your messages across multiple media. Ensure message and brand consistency across all your media.
6. Communications should reflect the “personalities” of the individual media used by customers to engage with your brand.
7. Each medium should reinforce the other (e.g., on air reinforcing social, mobile reinforcing web, etc.).
8. Be where your customers are (e.g., push mobile alerts during commuting hours, holidays, etc.)
9. Select channels that serve the customer. Texting an offer is intrusive; using SMS as a reminder for something they want is a value.
10. Avoid silos. Ideally one team should manage all customer touchpoints.
11. Make customer listening a part of every functional area, not just marketing.
12. Deliver high-quality customer service in every channel. Marketing has to take responsibility.