11 Profound Quotes About Marketing
One of the side effects of covering an industry of communication majors is that I often hear ideas that are utterly remarkable thrown around as if they were no big deal. Yesterday’s Content Marketing Master Class (CMMC) was no exception.
CMMC is an event we help produce that stars Robert Rose and Joe Pulizzi of the Content Marketing Institute. You’ve seen both of their names mentioned around our site and magazine because they’re two of the best at content marketing.
They’re also two of the best at turning a philosophical phrase, or recognizing the genius of someone else’s. And that skill was on full display at CMMC. Here are 11 that I found to be particularly profound, and worth thinking over and unpacking after the event.
- The problem with ROI is we’re asked to R but we’re not given any I.
- We cannot extract value from our audience until we’ve built something of value for them.
- Purpose, story, audience, process, measure.
The content marketing strategy framework of Robert Rose
- We tend to look at content marketing as super-charged advertising, missing how it will change us fundamentally.
- Tell me how you’re going to measure me and I’ll tell you how I’m going to behave.
Eli Goldratt, quoted by Robert Rose
- Dandelion content marketing: Creating one big idea that makes a lot of small assets that plant you’re seeds all over.
Jay Baer, quoted by Joe Pulizzi
- If we’re creating evergreen content that yields evergreen value, we need to think of it as long-term, evergreen investment.
- We all build personas that look like buyers, not like audiences.
- Would you hire your content? Does it effectively do the job you would be hiring it to do in your marketing plan?
- When ___, I want ___ so I can do ___. If your content fits into that middle blank, your audience will hire it to do that job.
- Stories are a much more powerful way to do what marketers need to do: manipulate an audience.
Do those give you something to think about? Let me know in the comments, and add your favorite marketing quotes for everyone else to read.