Special Report - Inbound Marketing : Top 10 Inbound Marketing TacticsMay 2014 By Thorin McGee
Direct marketing has traditionally been an outbound business: Send offers via mail, email, TV, telephone, etc., take orders from the percentage who convert, repeat. Inbound marketing turns that on its ear by using online tactics like content creation, social media and search marketing to make the company very easy for potential customers to find when they're looking to learn more about your industry, to trust and, ultimately, to buy.
While some of the tactics may sound more like brand marketing—especially the thought-leadership aspects of content marketing—inbound marketers use those tactics as part of a long-term, scientific marketing plan to bring qualified prospects onto their lists, track their interactions with the brand, nurture them, build relationships and, ultimately, convert them into customers through classic direct offers.
Some old-school marketers still refuse to accept this as true "direct marketing," but no one can argue it hasn't been one of the most influential marketing strategies of the past 10 years.
Here are the Top 10 Inbound Marketing tactics Target Marketing readers reported using during our “Media Usage Survey” (results of which were reported in the March issue of Target Marketing).
• “Nurture Vs. Nature” by Bob Bly
• “How Many Leads Do You Need?” by Ruth Stevens
• “Drip Marketing: 3 Essentials to Increasing Leads and Sales” by K.C. Motamedy
• “Automated Marketing: Drip vs. Nurture” by Cyndie Shaffstall
• “Scions of Local Search” by Heather Fletcher
• “Action Over Reaction: 6 keys to evaluating your content marketing efforts” by Rob Yoegel
• “How to Generate Leads With Education Marketing” by Jeff Molander
• “3 Steps to Cleanse and Append Inbound Leads” by Peter Gracey
• “The Principles of Demand: Key ingredients and benefits of a killer inbound marketing program”
• “Content Marketing to Unlock Social Media Success”
• “You Can’t Buy Love: The secrets of demand generation strategy and success”
• “Top Email Lead Nurturing Strategies for 2013”
• Marketo’s Inbound Marketing Success Center