Before marketers start believing the hype that all consumers plunk what they call “junk mail” and the industry terms “direct mail” straight into the circular file, they might want to take a look at the “Your ROI Is in the Mail” infographic from UnitedMail. Its data shows 70 to 80 percent of consumers open almost all of their mail, and that’s not the only stat in this research.
Among the infographic’s key takeaways are:
- 79 percent of consumers will act on direct mail immediately; 45 percent say the same about email
- 25 percent more money is spent by consumers who receive direct mail and email
- 51 percent of consumers prefer direct mail from local shops
Here’s what UnitedMail suggests marketers do about these and its other findings:
- Combine direct mail with email, as consumers prefer responding to direct mail via online means
- Personalize the outer envelope on direct mail and use color in text and graphics, as 70 percent of consumers are more likely to open colorful mail
- Consider adding in more channels in order to increase response rates
Do marketers agree with the findings in this infographic?
Please respond in the comments section below.
Related story: Uber Drives Into the Inbox and Mailbox