Denny's Daily Zinger: The Worst Email Ever!March 6, 2014 By Denny Hatch
Illustration No. 1 is the worst email I ever received.
The reason I opened it was the subject line:
Real Marketing Secrete
1. Was this a typo? ("Secrete" is a verb.)
2. Or was the sender a total illiterate?
The answer to both questions is "yes."
Illustration No. 2 points out exactly why it's so bad—14 grammatical errors in just 138 words of headline and text.
Okay, I've probably seen worse emails over the years.
But the sender's email handle is businesscoach.joseph@.
Business Coach Joseph???
This kind of mediocrity could be expected from a porn site operator or a texting high school student, but emphatically NOT a business coach!
Takeaways From My New Book, Write Everything Right! to Consider:
- You have two shots at getting your email opened:
- Do not use words in the subject line that could trigger spam filters.
- Business Coach Joseph's use of "secrete" as a noun landed his effort in my spam file. (Good for Yahoo's spam filter program!)
- Always run everything you write through a spelling and grammar program before you send it anywhere.
- I passed Business Coach Joseph's message through the Word spell-check system and it did not pick up much.
- The Apple Pages program picked up nothing.
- Always send an important email to yourself first, so you can be sure it arrives in the recipient's box looking exactly as you want it to.
- Unschooled communicators should not be afraid of hiring a professional copy editor for guidance.